In April 1878, the ‘Californy Church’ was deeded the land on which the cemetery and former church building stand for just $60.00. At the time, the church was a Methodist Episcopal church begun by pioneers headed for California. They settled here instead, and named the church after their original destination The earliest written records are from 1884 when W.D. Smith was pastor, with 10 members in attendance. On January 9, 1910, Sunday School records showed 17 people in attendance and an offering of $0.29.
In 1963, the church began negotiations for affiliating with the United Missionary Church. It officially became the California Road Missionary Church in 1964. In 1974, 19 acres of land was purchased, on which the present building stands. The present sanctuary was built in 1980 with multipurpose and classroom additions added shortly after.
Learn more about CRMC!